From a monster week of books (a mixed bag, at best) to a monster storm (needed a shovel-toting podiatrist to clear feet of snow from my driveway!) to another–yes, another–monster week of books! You know what that means: I’ll be digging my way out of a packed paper bag come Wednesday. Here’s the forecast:
100% Chance of Snow
- Batman #17 (DC): The finale of Death of the Family. Snyder’s track record with finales hasn’t been great of late. (See: The Court of Owls and the still developing finale of Rotworld.) Last issue was a bit of a bust; so my expectations are pretty low–low enough for me to see this issue as my last. That would leave me with one Batbook: Batwoman. And that one is only a must buy as long as J.H. Williams III is doing his magic. That’s not what I was hoping for when I was drawn back into comics–after a long break–by the New 52.
- Battlefields: Fall and Rise of Anna Kharkova #4 (Dynamite): Garth Ennis. ‘Nuff said.
- Bedlam #4 (Image): Last issue ticked me off. Final Destination: The Comic. Really? Short leash.
- Change #3 (Image): Loved #2–until a questionable ending. We’ll see.
- Clone #4 (Image): Ugh. I’m not in love with this series. This might be it.
- Fatale #12 (Image): The last issue was sooooooo good. Brubaker and Phillips are killing it here and are setting some serious trends in other books. Just look around.
- Fury: My War Gone By #9 (Marvel): A double-shot of Ennis? I’m spinning already! If you’ve been reading along, you know how I feel about this title.
- Archer & Armstrong #7 (Valiant): Tight story-telling and brash fun. This book is a reliable palate cleanser. I’ll probably read it directly after Batman.
- Bloodshot #8 (Valiant): Back to now after a trip-hop-skip to the past. While I’ve been enjoying what Swierczynski’s been doing of late, I can’t wait till Harbinger Wars. Sounds like a crossover that’s actually going to work; one that has value and isn’t just an event for the sake of having an event.
- Comedian #5 (DC): Yeah, I’m getting it. Someone somewhere is laughing at me.
Fog. Just Fog.
- Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth #2 (Image): Not as clever as it thought it was, but it had its moments. Quirky enough to go for two.
- Uncanny X-Men #1 (Marvel): Bachalo and Bendis: worth a try, no? but worth an investment? I don’t know. I mean, how long with Bachalo be on the book? Three issues?
- Secret Avengers #1 (Marvel): Winter Soldier may be enough of a draw. Plus, I’ve enjoyed Nick Spencer over on Bedlam.
- The Initiates: I’ve developed a bit of a crush on this graphic novel by Etienne Davodeau. May have to Amazon it.
That’s what’s headed my way. What are you looking forward to tomorrow?