Ales Kot, American Vampire, Batman, BOOM!, Breath of Bones, Cullen Bunn, Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, Duane Swierczynski, Greg Capullo, Half Past Danger, Harbinger Wars, Helheim, IDW, Image Comics, Joe Hill, Joelle Jones, Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra, Patrick Zircher, Scott Snyder, Six-Gun Gorilla, Steve Niles, Suicide Squad, Superman, Superman Unchained, The Manhattan Projects, Thumbprint, Valiant, X, Zero Year
Last week set a high bar: a lot of stand-out books–some confidently staking their claims as Top 5 material. I don’t see this week topping it, but, no doubt, there’ll be plenty to talk about.
- Breath of Bones #1 (Dark Horse): Steve Niles? Yes, please.
- X #2 (Dark Horse): I like a bad-ass vigilante as much as the next guy. I want to love this, I really do. I’m gonna give X–and hotshot scribe Duane Swierczynski– another shot at my heart.
- American Vampire: The Long Road to Hell (DC): Well, well, hell. The beginning of a big week for Scott Snyder–this one, with a big price tag, by the way. I’ve really enjoyed American Vampire–which I’ve read in trades through Vol. 4–and am pretty sure I’ll enjoy this all the same. I know I’ve been somewhat tough on Mr. Snyder of late–specifically for the late Death of the Family–but on AV, Snyder has been epically horrifying.
- Batman #21 (DC): Unless you’ve been under a rock–or in a cave–you know all about this one: Snyder and Greg Capullo’s next big storyline: Zero Year.
- Superman Unchained #1 (DC): Hype very well could be Snyder’s kryptonite.
- Suicide Squad #21 (DC): Ales Kot talked the Squad off the ledge and then drove ’em right the heck back up there–necessarily–with self-immolation on the brain.
- The Manhattan Projects #12 (Image): M.I.A. in M.A.Y. Glad it’s back: it’s easily one of the best books around.
- Harbinger Wars #3 (Valiant): It’s been OK. Not as strong as I thought it’d be; but that’s their own fault, really. Valiant’s been pretty awesome overall.
- Helheim #4 (Oni): Not quite there yet. Still willing to wait on it because of my love for The Sixth Gun.
- Six-Gun Gorilla #1 (BOOM!): A gorilla with a gun. ‘Nuff said.
- Half Past Danger #2 (IDW): I liked #1 enough–especially toward the end–to give it another go-round.
- Thumbprint #1 (IDW): Will probably thumb through it. Fitting, I know.
Did I miss anything?